Friday, October 13, 2006

Stewart Imlach for Nottingham Forest (v Manchester United), 22nd February 1958


[Predictions are here.]

I made a conscious decision recently to read more football books. Not your average rubbish Cole/Gerrard/Terry/Rooney autobiography, but some interesting books about individuals, eras or teams.

I am going to have trouble finding anything as good as the first one I picked.

"My Father And Other Working-Class Football Heroes" by Gary Imlach tells the story of his father Stewart's career. Whilst ostensibly a biography of his dad, it is more interesting for the way it paints a picture of the game during the 1950s and 1960s. Maximum wages, going to the World Cup with no team manager, life outside football in the 50s all come under the spotlight.

It is an emotional and brilliant read, even if you have never heard of Stewart Imlach or are no supporter of the teams he represented (Bury, Derby, Forest, Coventry, Crystal Palace).

In fact, I'd say it was the second best football book I have ever read (after Tony Cascarino's autobiography which is bloody brilliant.)

Indeed, Gary Imlach's book won the William Hill Sports Book of the Year award in 2005 which, I think, was probably richly deserved. Well worth a read.

11 comments:

Paul said...

I'd recommend Simon Kuper's Football Against the Enemy, Harry Pearson's The Far Corner, and a book on the history of Dynamo Kiev - whose author I forget.

If you are more interested in sport's books, Angry White Pyjamas is a great book (and former whitbred winner).

Mike Atherton's autobiography is also pretty good.

Erectile dysfunction pills said...

I really don't know how much successful will it be, but it will be I guess upto some extent.

Gynexin male breast reduction pills said...

I do think that if you are more interested in sport's books, Angry White Pyjamas is a great book

Buy Proactol in United States said...

It was very interesting to go through the blog. You worked really well on it.

HghAdvanced anti aging product review said...

World Cup with no team manager, life outside football in the 50s all come under the spotlight.

Natural penis augmentation pills said...

Stewart for Nottingham Forest was basically for the list.It was actually an interesting.

Natural no side-effects phentermine said...

It was really great to visit your blog. The way you maintained your blog is just awesome.

Buy Proactol in United States said...

Oh that was the game of the century . I have this in my DvD .

Top Rated Vacuum Cleaners said...

I want you to say that your sport articles are great and i hope you will write some more in the future because you are really talented man.

Fitoderm effective acne removal product said...

Matter sometimes explains very briefly that the main theme of the post express its view.

Top models clothing 2012 said...

Finally i found an article about this topic. A ton of thanks you deserve and the article as your entire blog is amazing.