Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Wayne Rooney for Sozzchester Academicals (vs Deleriously Dillusional), 28 April 2007

As the defending champion in my office fantasy league, this has been a difficult season for me. A succession of 50:50 decisions on team selection at the start of the season all landed the wrong way, and I have spent much of the year propping up the table. There has been a bit of a minor turnaround in my fortunes over the last couple of months and my team has made a concerted effort to reach mid-table respectability -- a turnaround, it has to be said, that was largely triggered when Lord Bargain took over as caretaker manager whilst I was away on holiday for 3 weeks in March.

Still. I never saw this coming. I finished 7th in the entire Fantasy League in the April Manager of the Month competition. I don't know how many players there are in the League in total, but given that I finished 22,527th in the November competition, I reckon that's pretty good going. It doesn't do very much for my overall league position, where I remain 8,739th in the big league and a very disappointing 5th out of 8 in the office league (where the leader is more than 100 points clear and pushing for a place in the overall top 50).

It's a funny old game.

And they say that the Premiership is the best league in the world....

1 comment:

adem said...

I remember doing the Telegraph one when I was a teenager at school, and all I did was put a team in and not worry too much about it.

I bought the paper a few weeks later and there was my tram in print in the top 50 which I was chuffed about.

I think I still have the page somewhere in the loft.