Thursday, March 02, 2006

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink for PSV Eindhoven (v AZ Alkmaar), 26 February 2006

So, then, I am off for a bit of a random weekend.

A few weeks ago I decided I needed a bit of a break, and picked this weekend as the most likely. I searched the low cost airlines for cheap flights and then, having found an odd destination, looked online to see if the weekend I was planning matched a home fixture of this city's local football team. It did. So I booked the flights and some tickets for the game.

A couple of weeks ago it dawned on me that the league fixtures in this country are spread across the whole weekend, rather than all being played on Saturday afternoon. So, with a train timetable online and a fixture list, I emailed two further clubs who both came back to me with tickets for their respective games as well.

So, on Friday night I am going to the De Goffert Stadion in Nijmegen:

for NEC Nijmegen v AZ Alkmaar.

On Saturday I will be at the Philips Stadion in Eindhoven:


for PSV v Heerenveen.

and on Sunday I will be at the Amsterdam ArenA:

for Ajax v Sparta Rotterdam.

A veritable cornucopia of random Dutch football. I shall be accompanied by my good friend Rufus Fan (who is now Sarah here for those interested) and am looking forward to a slightly unusual football based long weekend in the Netherlands. Pics and reports on my return (especially from the "world famous" Ajax SoccerWorld Cafe (where we are having lunch))....

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh yes - not only a cornucopia of random Dutch football...but a gastronomic delight too.


nb - the meal deal came as an inclusive treat with the match ticket. McFootball anyone?

weenie said...

What a great footballing weekend!

Ben said...

Enjoy yourself - hope the games are good.

kj said...

I know now what my next European vacation needs to include. *jealous*